Is child support required in Ohio after a child turns 18 and graduates from high school but the divorce order specifies until 19

Columbus, OH |

original agreed entry 2000 states dad to pay child support until children age 19, but since then mom kidnapped the kids so dad got custody 2003. mom moved back to town 2006 and got rule 27 visitation but no child support exchanged since 2003 per new agreed entry. however, dad moving out of state when youngest child turns 18 and graduates high school, and latest agreed entry 2006 states remaining parent defaults to residential parent for school purposes. in this case child will attend college in same state but different city than mom and therefore not living with her but claiming her address for in-state tuition. can mom successfully file for child support from age 18 to 19 since later entries specified no support but did not modify age 19 factor? please advise

This question is confusing. However, if a child is 18, and graduated from high school there should be no support.

The above information is not, nor intend to be, legal advice. You SHOULD consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Based on this response no attorney-client relationship has been formed. If your matter is in Cuyahoga County or surrounding counties, we invite you to contact us. Please visit our website at www.kirnerandboldt.com. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information until such time and attorney-client relationship is formed. Attorneys in this firm are only licensed to practice in the state of Ohio and have no specific information as to the laws and rules of other states and none of the information provided is intended to be applied to the laws of other states.

thanks for your response. yes, both the situation and therefore the question is compllicated/confusing. mom is still bitter about losing custody and child support by her own doing (i.e. kidnapping) so just wanting to make sure i can get on with my life when my daughter turns 18 without a spite-driven child support filing arriving in my mail at my new address out of state. thanks again.

Peter Stephen Kirner

Peter Stephen Kirner

She can file. It is a question of if she will succeed. Unless there are some facts I am missing, I do not see child support being ordered for a healthy adult.

Child custody topics