Is being drunk on my porch "drunk in public"? Or lawn?

Grand Blanc, MI |

Just wondering. Probably stupid but we took bets. I said no. Rest of friends say yes.

1. My opinion that if you were on the porch, you are not in public, thus not 'drunk in public'. If you are drunk on your porch and creating a disturbance, you could be charged with disorderly person. I hope this settles the bet.

The answer to this question does not constitute legal advice nor does create a client relationship with the attorney answering this question. For more specific advice regarding your situation, please consult your lawyer.

2. without doing the research, I say no, you're not in public if you're on your private property.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

3. Were you drinking on your porch when you came up with this question?

This is general information and not legal advise. This communication does not create a lawyer-client relationship.