Is bankruptcy right for me?

Asked over 1 year ago - Littleton, CO

I have credit card debt, medical bills, student loans, and no income. My house was foreclosed a few years ago.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Deborah F Bowinski

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Bankruptcy may be appropriate for you, but without more information it is difficult to say. If you have no income and no assets there is little financial damage that your creditors can do. If you hope/plan to return to work at some point, then creditor judgments can lead to wage and bank garnishments if you do not take some sort of action. I suggest you schedule an initial consultation with a bankruptcy attorney who can evaluate your situation and offer guidance and assistance.

  2. Christopher Daniel Leroi

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Only a bankruptcy attorney can tell you after sitting down with you and fully examining your particular circumstances. I recommend attorneys Stephen Harkess or Holly Benham.

    The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in... more
  3. Robin Kert Hunt

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . People in your situation may be "judgment proof."

    Just because someone is judgment proof may not stop collection efforts, including lawsuits, by creditors or collection agencies and attorneys. If appropriate, bankruptcy can stop the collection efforts, and that may benefit even people who are otherwise judgment proof.

    With what's at stake, consulting with an experienced bankruptcy attorney licensed to practice in your state may be a good idea.

    If you want to know more about the meaning of certain key words used in bankruptcy, see the federal courts' web site for a glossary of bankruptcy terms:

    My law firm is a federally designated debt relief agency and helps people in Colorado file for bankruptcy relief... more
  4. Paul M. Gaide

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Dear Littleton:

    Attorneys Bowinski and Hunt gave you some good advice. I believe that you should sit down with competent bankruptcy counsel to consider your whole situation. A key part of your discussion with counsel should likely be whether you are eligible for a student loan deferment, forbearance or undue hardship discharge, and if so, when and how to address the issue.

    When searching for counsel, I recommend that you interview several attorneys; find counsel with whom you can place your confidence; and remember that a firm quoting you the lowest fee may not be the best for you. You may want to ask yourself: 1) is the lawyer presenting me with a drive-in, cookie cutter, service? 2) am I unique, or am I just a "number"? 3) will I get the full attention of counsel? 4) does the lawyer present him/herself and his/her service as fungible commodities? 5) does my situation require the attention of a very experienced attorney?

    Good luck as you go through this difficult time.

    Law Offices of Paul M. Gaide
    Paul M. Gaide, Esquire
    P.O. Box 280312
    Lakewood, Colorado 80228-0312
    Licensed in: CO, CT and MA
    Phone: 303.619.7500
    Facsimile: 888.391.4144

Related Topics


There are different types of debt, but all involve one person (the debtor) owing money to another (the creditor). Terms of repayment are governed by a contract.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,443 answers this week

3,397 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,443 answers this week

3,397 attorneys answering