Is bankruptcy an option?

Asked over 1 year ago - Bronx, NY

My parents bought burial plots about six months ago with their credit cards because they wanted to pay the balance in installments . Recently , my father had a stroke and his prognosis is guarded . I am concerned my mom will get stuck with a bill that she can not pay . The card was in my father's name . Heaven forbid , if anything happens to my dad , will my mother be responsible for the credit cards and medical bills or does the debt die with the owner of the debt ? Their home is the only assets and it is in a trust . Worst case scenario , should she consider bankruptcy ? Her only income would be from social security and my dad's pension . The latter is barely enough to pay all the household expenses

1. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

1

Answered . I think the medical bills could be more of a problem than the credit card debt. You should probably speak with an elder care attorney now.

2. Michael Hal Schwartz

Pro

1

Answered . I do not see a bankruptcy case as a necessary at this time. Based on what you have said, the debts will pass with your father and your mother will be ok.

3. Scott Benjamin Riddle

Pro

1

Answered . Your parents would likely benefit from an elder care or estate planning lawyer, before their situation gets worse, if they have not done so.