Is Automatic Contract Renewal enforceable in MA

Asked almost 3 years ago - Boston, MA

Our Company has a contract for a commercial service, in fine print on the back it has the automatic renewal - unless 30 days notice before contract ends clause. We have been with the company for 2 terms and want to change due to pricing (they have crept up to double the rate over the past 6 years) Is Automatic Renewal enforceable in MA?

1. Herbert Warren Cooper IV

Pro

Answered . It sounds like you were aware that the contract would roll over as you mention you have been with them for two terms (and that this would then be the third term). This might be material in any dispute over whether you were aware of that particular provision (though generally the law presumes that you read the contract before signing).

As to whether the contract can be enforced, and enforced in an economic fashion for the commercial service provider, that would depend upon the specific terms, facts, and circumstances. For example, the timing of price increases might be a factor which determines the outcome of any suit over the contract. If there is a significant change in the performance of the contract, that could affect the outcome, etcetera. As a general proposition, two businesses can agree that the contract will renew on a specific basis if no action is taken by a certain date, but that may not be the end of an analysis of the situation. Good luck.

2. Pamela Koslyn

Answered . Generally, automatically renewed contracts are enforceable everywhere. Also, there's a doctrine called "severability" that says that sometimes contracts are enforceable even if they have an unenforceable provision in them.

You really need to have your particular contract reveiwed in its entirety. As with any question that asks "what does my contract say, what have I agreed to, and what are my rights?" no lawyer can respond in any meaningful way without reviewing the document in question.

3. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . Yes automatically renewed contracts are enforceable so take yours to a local lawyer for a review.