Is assault involving throwing a beer bottle (hits the person but no injury), considered moral turpitude?

Virginia Beach, VA |
Filed under: Immigration

My finace from the UK was in a bar fight years ago and he threw a bottle at the other guy, it hit him, but did not injur him. My fiance plead guilty and only received 100hrs community service. Is this a crime of moral turpitude? (I don't know any more specifics about the case..we're waiting on a criminal record to be sent to him, then me and then I'll send it to my lawyer...just looking for help until then)

It may be. It depends on what crime he was convicted of. He should show his record of conviction to an experienced immigration attorney.

Please click the link below for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Perhaps. What was the crime? Assault with a dangerous weapon? Best bet is to contact an immigration lawyer above to investigate.

Generally speaking, a crime of moral turpitude involves lying, cheating, or stealing. I am not an immigration lawyer so in the context of immigration I do not know if it has a different meaning. I would be happy to refer you to immigration attorney.

The information contained in this message is for general informational purposes only. It is not intended to be legal advice, nor is it a substitute for professional legal services. Wolcott Rivers Gates disclaims the formation of an attorney-client relationship by use of AVVO, and no such relationship exists unless and until a written Fee Agreement has been endorsed by Wolcott Rivers Gates and the client. Furthermore, given the public nature of this forum, there can be no expectation of privacy, confidentiality, privilege, or any other protection from disclosure.

Recommended articles about Immigration