Is asking a coworker on a date sexual harassment?

I've recently taken a liking to a coworker and would like to ask her out on a date, however my friends tell me to be careful because that could be sexual harassment. What can I do to not make this sexual harassment? Do I have to ask her out outside of the work environment?

Carthage, MS -

Robert Nicholas Norris

Robert Nicholas Norris

Sexual Harassment Attorney - Jackson, MS

Asking a co-worker out on a date is not sexual harassment. However, if the co-worker declines your invitation any continued advances could be considered sexual harassment.

Kevin Rindler Madison

Kevin Rindler Madison

Sexual Harassment Attorney - Lakeway, TX

There should not normally be a problem if you are both employees and you are not her supervisor. I would certainly suggest that you review your employer's employee handbook for any guidelines that your employer may have regarding dating other employees.

Harry Edward Hudson Jr

Harry Edward Hudson Jr

Sexual Harassment Attorney - Stockton, CA

You might try a google scholar search on the subject of sexual harassment and then avoid the things considered as harassment. Simpy asking her out is not a problem. Legally. Keep in mind, she may not feel as you do and decline the opportunity to enjoy your company. Persistence on your part would then not be a good idea.

Related Advice