Is asking a coworker on a date sexual harassment?

Carthage, MS |
Filed under: Sexual harassment

I've recently taken a liking to a coworker and would like to ask her out on a date, however my friends tell me to be careful because that could be sexual harassment. What can I do to not make this sexual harassment? Do I have to ask her out outside of the work environment?

1. There should not normally be a problem if you are both employees and you are not her supervisor. I would certainly suggest that you review your employer's employee handbook for any guidelines that your employer may have regarding dating other employees.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at www.kevinmadison.com and www.texassexualharassmentattorney.com. Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at http://texassexualharassmentattorney.com/blog/

2. You might try a google scholar search on the subject of sexual harassment and then avoid the things considered as harassment. Simpy asking her out is not a problem. Legally. Keep in mind, she may not feel as you do and decline the opportunity to enjoy your company. Persistence on your part would then not be a good idea.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

3. Asking a co-worker out on a date is not sexual harassment. However, if the co-worker declines your invitation any continued advances could be considered sexual harassment.