Is asking a coworker on a date sexual harassment?

Asked over 2 years ago - Carthage, MS

I've recently taken a liking to a coworker and would like to ask her out on a date, however my friends tell me to be careful because that could be sexual harassment. What can I do to not make this sexual harassment? Do I have to ask her out outside of the work environment?

1. Robert Nicholas Norris

Pro

Answered . Asking a co-worker out on a date is not sexual harassment. However, if the co-worker declines your invitation any continued advances could be considered sexual harassment.

2. Kevin Rindler Madison

Pro

1

Answered . There should not normally be a problem if you are both employees and you are not her supervisor. I would certainly suggest that you review your employer's employee handbook for any guidelines that your employer may have regarding dating other employees.

3. Harry Edward Hudson Jr

Answered . You might try a google scholar search on the subject of sexual harassment and then avoid the things considered as harassment. Simpy asking her out is not a problem. Legally. Keep in mind, she may not feel as you do and decline the opportunity to enjoy your company. Persistence on your part would then not be a good idea.