Is armed robbery worse than aggravated robbery

League City, TX |

my nephew is charged with aggravated robbery.the other guy is charged with armed robbery

1. There's no such thing as armed robbery in Texas. It is aggravated robbery.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.

2. I agree with Ms. Jaggers. Your nephew is charged with a first degree felony.

3. I agree with Ms. Jaggers and Mr. Marquardt.

In Texas, robbery with a deadly weapon is aggravated robbery. It's what most TV cop shows would call "armed robbery".

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.

4. Actually....there is a such thing as armed robbery, but it's just a form of aggravated robbery. For example, under TPC 29.03(a)(2), it's aggravated robbery if "A person commits robbery as defined in TPC 29.02 and uses or exhibits a deadly weapon...robbery + weapon = armed robbery (1st degree felony) Now, under TPC 29.03(a)(1), "A person commits robbery as defined in TPC 29.02 and causes serious bodily injury to another...robbery + serious injury = aggravated robbery (1st degree felony). There are other examples, but the point is you can have an aggravated robbery with or without a weapon. They are all 1st degree felonies nonetheless. The guy charged with armed robbery obviously had a weapon. Your nephew didn't have a weapon, but he must have met some of the other conditions of aggravated robbery. Both charges have the exact same retirement plan.

If this answer was helpful to you or if it was the best answer, please click the buttons that state helpful and best answer. Please understand that all of my answers are for informational purposes only, are not legal advise, and do not create an attorney-client relationship between you and me. I am not your attorney and you are not my client unless we enter into a signed contract. My only legal advise to you is that you should immediately consult with and hire a lawyer and that you should not represent yourself. If you want to more information about personal injury, visit http://www.sainjurylawyer.com or if you want more information about criminal defense, visit http://www.giardinolawfirm.com. Good luck!