Is an written agreement between two parties legally enforceable if money is involved in the agreement?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Miami, FL

I operate a charter boat at a private club in Florida. The dock is leased by a private company from the club and the private company has written agreements with the charter boats dictating dock rules and how charters are distributed as well as a percentage take for distributing charters to the boats. Recently the terms of the agreement were changed without notifying anyone in the fleet and it resulted in my business losing trips. Are there any ramifications for breaching an agreement especially when it pertains to money?

1. Joshua Jonathan Tejes

2

1

Answered . You made have a case, but it is impossible to tell without reviewing the contract. You need to speak to a local attorney so that he can review the contract as well as the changes that you described and advise you regarding your situation.

2. Michael Charles Doland

3

1

Answered . A review of the prior and amended contract would be required to give any meaningful analysis. Having damages without a breach of a contractual obligation is not "always" recoverable.

3. Thomas Fred Meyer

1

1

Answered . I understand that you have a contract, presumably in writing, with a company that leases the dock from which you operate a charter boat. The first step is to determine whether the company violated your contract. For example, does the contract say whether the company is allowed to make changes? If they are allowed to make changes, does it say whether they must notify you first - in writing or otherwise? If the contract is unclear, consult with a lawyer to help you interpret. IF you believe that the company DID violate the contract then that = a breach and if you were damaged because of the breach then your contract may indicate what you are entitled to recover. Again, if its unclear - speak with a lawyer.