Is an IRS tax lien tied to my tax id number only? If I sold the business, would the new owner have to take my line as debt?

Asked about 4 years ago - Puyallup, WA

The new owner would have their own tax id number. There are no assets being transferred, and I will still operate business under the tax id number that has the lien attached to it.

1. Steven J. Fromm

1

Answered . Your facts are confusing, so I will lay out some general ideas. If you sell the assets of your business to another party, they are only obtaining assets and they are not taking on any debt. In addition, any purchaser would want you to make various warranties and representations to protect them against such debt. If you sell the shares of stock of your business, the buyer takes the corporation as is and in fact the debts become his problem.
    So if you keep your corporation's shares and continue to operate such entity the lien would still be attached to the corporation.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below and/or designate my answer as best answer. Thanks.
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties and services clients in all parts of Pennsylvania. He can be reached at 215-735-2336 or at the email address listed below. He has an AV Preeminent Rating (5.0 out of 5.0) with Martindale-Hubbel, the highest possible rating for legal ability and ethical standards. Also, he has received a 10.0 rating from AVVO and was featured as a 5Star Wealth Manager in the Philadelphia Magazine, November 2009 issue on page 123.
    Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
    By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
    Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

2. Henry Daniel Lively

1

Answered . If you did an asset sale of the business, which is what it sounds like from your facts, then the new owner would not inherit your tax lien. If you did a stock sale then it is possible for the lien to go with the sale of the business. However, if no assets were transferred it begs the question as to what you actually sold to this person.

Any individual seeking legal advice for their own situation should retain their own legal counsel as this response provides information that is general in nature and not specific to any person's unique situation. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Advice given in this response cannot be used to eliminate penalties with the IRS or any other governmental agency.

3. Ayuban Antonio Tomas

Pro

1

Answered . I'm a bit confused as to what you are actually selling.

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.