IS AN EXECUTOR LEGALLY RESPONSIBLE TO LET THE HEIRS KNOW THE OUTCOME AND FINAL DISTRIBUTION OF A PARENTS ESTATE

Asked about 1 year ago - Greensburg, PA

I FOUND OUT THAT THE ESTATE WAS CLOSED BUT I CAN NOT GET A RESPONSE FROM THE EXECUTOR AS TO THE FINAL DISTRIBUTION OF MONEY THAT WAS IN THE ESTATE. I RECEIVED A PARTIAL DISTRIBUTION BUT NO FINAL DISTRIBUTION. I CANT GET AN ANSWER FROM THE EXECUTOR. WHAT CAN I DO ?

1. Steven M Zelinger

Pro

5

1

Answered . Not sure I would word the question the way you did but if the question is does an heir have a right to an accounting, including receipts, disbursements and distributions, then the answer is yes. You could check the probate file at the local Register of Wills (if its a PA estate). If you cannot get the answers you need that way (it is possible that a formal accounting is not on file) you may need to hire your own attorney to force the executor to file the accounting.

2. Rochelle S. Rabin

1

Best Answer

Answered . An estate can either be closed by court order after a formal accounting is presented to the court, or by a signed family settlement agreement that isn't necessarily filed with the court or Register of Wills. Either way, you should have been informed about what was going on. If the estate went through formal accounting, you should have received notice of that and an opportunity to review the formal accounting. If it was settled by agreement, your signature & approval of the informal accounting was necessary.

If you look at the court file, you may only see whether or not there was a formal accounting done.

As an heir, you do have a right to an accounting of what came into the estate and where it all went, and you can file a petition with the court to compel the executor to provide you with one. I recommend consulting with a local attorney and deciding on a course of action.

3. Celia R Reed

2

1

Answered . I agree with Attorney Zelinger. If you got a partial distribution, there should have been notification prior to the estate closing. It is possible that you did not get a final distribution because the estate did not have sufficient funds, but you are entitled to know this. Your remedies are to pull the court file and see if that addresses your question and if not, hire your own counsel to pursue this.