Skip to main content

Is an employer required to make up the difference in base pay and minimum wage if you don't make enough in tips?

Clemson, SC |

I work at a huddle house and we get a base rate of 2.13/hr. However, the tips that I claim don't add up to the 7.25 minimum wage, and my employer goes back into the computer and changes how much I actually do declare in tips so it looks like I am actually making minimum wage. Is this legal?

Attorney Answers 1


No. it is not legal and is a violation of the wage provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act. The act itself provides for damages and attorney fees. There is a statute of limitations that allows you to look backwards for 2 years, possibly 3 years. There are also retaliation provisions that protect employees under the statute. I would see a wage and hour attorney immediately. Most attorneys who practice wage and hour law represent employees in cases all over SC.

Mark as helpful

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics