Is an automobile lien holder liable in an auto accident?

I have a lien on someone's automobile. If that individual gets into an auto accident that is his fault and gets sued, could I in any way as the lien holder on the vehicle become liable for damages that occurred in the accident?

Generally, no. But you need to speak with an attorney in your jurisdiction, California. Each state treats the law of auto liability differently.

Usually the registered owner and driver have liability (depending on the state and circumstances, one will be primarily liable and the other secondary). Usually a lienholder is not liable, but you should check with a lawyer and find out if you are an additional insured on any insurance policies covering the car or driver.

The information provided herein is not intended to be legal advice and no attorney-cloient relationship exists as a result. Before relying on any advice, please consult an attorney.

2. I am unaware of any instance where a lien holder can be responsible for liability solely due to an economic interest.

3. Probably not, since you are not the owner of the vehicle and just maintain a lien on it. Contact a local lawyer to discuss with them. Good luck.

4. Probably not. You would have to either be the registered owner or the driver to be liable.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for informational purposes only. Attorney will take no action on your behalf unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict time deadlines on filing claims and, as such, you are advised to consult with and retain an attorney immediately to file such claims timely or you will lose any right to recovery.

5. Unless you are an owner, there would not be liability.

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com