Is an automobile lien holder liable in an auto accident?

Asked over 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I have a lien on someone's automobile. If that individual gets into an auto accident that is his fault and gets sued, could I in any way as the lien holder on the vehicle become liable for damages that occurred in the accident?

1. John Elliott Leighton

9

1

Best Answer

Answered . Generally, no. But you need to speak with an attorney in your jurisdiction, California. Each state treats the law of auto liability differently.

Usually the registered owner and driver have liability (depending on the state and circumstances, one will be primarily liable and the other secondary). Usually a lienholder is not liable, but you should check with a lawyer and find out if you are an additional insured on any insurance policies covering the car or driver.

2. Kevin Samuel Sullivan

Pro

6

Answered . Probably not, since you are not the owner of the vehicle and just maintain a lien on it. Contact a local lawyer to discuss with them. Good luck.

3. Steven Mark Sweat

6

Answered . Probably not. You would have to either be the registered owner or the driver to be liable.

4. Joel Jay Kofsky

6

1

Answered . I am unaware of any instance where a lien holder can be responsible for liability solely due to an economic interest.

Pro

5

Answered . Unless you are an owner, there would not be liability.

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com