Is an attorney recommended after side swipe accident?

Asked over 1 year ago - Winter Garden, FL

I was side swiped by an at fault party failing to obey traffic law. Liable party admitted guilt to responding officer and insurance companiesn the liable insurance company is talking about settlement after only 3 days after the crash. I feel like they are trying to undermine me before full extent of injuries is known. Also, the liability, property damage, and rental are being handled by one person who wants to meet in person to give a check for damages and liability. Any suggestions

1. John Michael Phillips

Pro

4

1

Best Answer

Answered . Quick settlements are never good, specifically after one week. Even in soft tissue injuries, those tissues stretch and scar, or cause corresponding pressure on nerves in the spinal cord, leaving behind permanent problems for some. I have had clients need surgeries years later because of a bulging disk and have their entire world collapse for what seemed inconsequential at the time.

For that reason - and the misinformation by TV lawyers and referral services- is why people should consult lawyers who take the time like on sites like this. Because of the economy, more lawyers are jumping into personal injury and should stick to what they know. Personal injury law REQUIRED knowledge about medical science and biomechanics (the forces on a body in a wreck) far greater and more specific than you'd think. The other side has doctors and millions on their side to say nothing is wrong or fight the claim. If you have any further questions, feel free to email me- jmp@knowthelawyer.com.

2. Lawrence Henry Hornsby Jr.

6

1

Answered . You should not accept any settlement for your injuries. It is impossible to know the true extent of your injuries at this point and any offer will be far less than the true value for your case. Insurance companies often try to settle cases quickly to avoid paying more down the road. The insurance company does not want you to get a lawyer. Do not accept any settlement for your injury claims at this stage. I would recommend contacting an attorney. Feel free to call our office, Hornsby Law at 407-599-3800 we handle many cases in Winter Garden.

3. David Irving Shiner

Pro

6

1

Answered . As with any accident situation, You are best served by consulting with an attorney who can assist you in all different ways. For instance your attorney should be able to assist with advice, recovering compensation, property damage, and even referrals to competent professionals. In addition, you should not try to negotiate the claim yourself -- especially this early in the case. You do not yet know the full extent of your injuries and therefore, you can't resolve your claims at this juncture. There are several answers to questions just like yours on my firms web site at www.InCourt.com please visit our site and feel free to call my office for a free consultation. Best of Luck.

4. Robert John Healy Jr.

6

1

Answered . I wouldn't be in a hurry to resolve all of these claims together. There is no reason for you to resolve your bodily injury claims at this time. If you do not want to contact an attorney at this time, then just deal with the rental and property damage. When you determine better how you feel and the extent of any injuries you will be in a better position to consider an injury settlement

5. Keith Patrick Ligori

5

1

Answered . The short answer is yes. Don’t accept a quick check form the insurance company trying to low ball the potential value of your case. Seek out a personal injury attorney who can determine the true value of your case once you receive the needed medical treatment caused by the at fault driver. This is why there is auto insurance; so that it can assist you in paying down your lost wages, medical bills, and any and all pain and suffering. Hiring a lawyer costs you nothing, as we work on a contingency fee basis, only getting proceeds if you recover a settlement. This is your one shot to recover monies from the at fault party’s insurance company. You will need someone to help guide you through that process.

The Law Offices of Keith Ligori
    Free Consultations
    813-254-7119
    keithligorilaw@gmail.com

6. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

2

1

Answered . Yes.You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

7. Robert Don Fink

Pro

3

1

Answered . I always recommend an attorney. Not to sound trite, but have you heard the expression that a lawyer that represents himself has a fool for a client? There isn’t even a saying for how foolish it is to represent yourself when you aren’t a lawyer. This is because the rules of procedure and evidence are complex and even with the best case, unless you know how to apply the rules, you are at a huge disadvantage. Insurance companies know this and are not very likely to give you anything even close to a fair offer if you try to settle by yourself. Many times, injury victims have tried to do it themselves only to find that they need a lawyer… by that time a lot of damage has typically been done. So in short… get a local lawyer that has experience in personal injury lawsuits.