Skip to main content

Is an Attorney needed to re-coup interest on child support in arrears?

Villa Park, IL |

I'm wondering if you enlist enforcement services do they calculate and go after the interest also along with the amount in arrears?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. in lake county, child supt. services does try to collect the interest in addition to the support.

  2. You can calculate interest yourself if you have the talent in that department. An attorney can do likewise. There are programs for calculating arrearage interest, but some are not very good and unless you have only one judgment date, calculating child support intrest can get complicated.

    The state usually does not calculate interest. It is just too complicated for not really much money but you can insist they do it.

  3. Yes you must ask for the interest. You can try to calculate it yourself by using an online program or enlist the services of a private attorney.

    IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.

Child support topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics