Is an attorney allowed to make false statements towards a client in a motion to withdraw?

Asked about 1 year ago - Seattle, WA

I am a creditor who had all of her savings stolen by the debtor. When the debtor filed for bankruptcy, I filed an adversary proceeding. I was honest with the attorney and informed him that my mother would pay his fees. My mother signed the fee agreement as the financial obligor. We got to the end (in the meantime the bankruptcy was denied due to the fact that the debtor seriously lied about his assets. Our final action was a proposed order filed but not signed by the was not signed due to the attorney's failure to include the necessary info. Rather than fix it, the attorney made a motion to withdraw and inferred that I had not paid my bill even though he never sent me an invoice (they were sent to my mother who paid all of them until this happened). This lie has caused me damage.

1. Mikolaj Tytus Tempski

3

Answered . To answer the simpler top line question: No, an attorney is not allowed to lie to the court.

2. Susanne Ruiz Rodriguez

2

Answered . I suggest you ask your attorney to provide you with an accounting of time spent on your case and what he received in fees. It's possible that your mother missed a payment for some reason. That's the first step. Then have a conversation with him regarding why he withdrew. If you are not satisfied with the answer, then you can file a grievance with the bar association. Information is at wsba.org.