Is an attorney allowed to make false statements towards a client in a motion to withdraw?

Seattle, WA |
Filed under: Claims to debt

I am a creditor who had all of her savings stolen by the debtor. When the debtor filed for bankruptcy, I filed an adversary proceeding. I was honest with the attorney and informed him that my mother would pay his fees. My mother signed the fee agreement as the financial obligor. We got to the end (in the meantime the bankruptcy was denied due to the fact that the debtor seriously lied about his assets. Our final action was a proposed order filed but not signed by the was not signed due to the attorney's failure to include the necessary info. Rather than fix it, the attorney made a motion to withdraw and inferred that I had not paid my bill even though he never sent me an invoice (they were sent to my mother who paid all of them until this happened). This lie has caused me damage.

I suggest you ask your attorney to provide you with an accounting of time spent on your case and what he received in fees. It's possible that your mother missed a payment for some reason. That's the first step. Then have a conversation with him regarding why he withdrew. If you are not satisfied with the answer, then you can file a grievance with the bar association. Information is at wsba.org.

The answers to these questions may be different depending on your individual circumstance and should not be considered as legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

My mother, the math teacher, did dispute various charges including an overcharge of $1,000 due to the attorney's incompetency with simple math. That is not a missed payment but rather a dispute over the amount owed. He will not answe out questions in writing. No wonder people don't like attorneys.

Susanne Ruiz Rodriguez

Susanne Ruiz Rodriguez

If you have tried to resolve the issue and have been unsuccessful, then it might be time to file a fee dispute with the bar association.

To answer the simpler top line question: No, an attorney is not allowed to lie to the court.

My answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not constitute legal advice or establish any attorney-client relationship.