Is an arrest going to effect my H1-B visa stamping even though the case was dismissed with no conviction and no guilty plea?

Asked 7 months ago - Cleveland, OH

I was involved in a retail theft because of a friend of mine. I was arrested but not finger printed( state of Ohio) and later was given a court date. I hired an attorney to represent me who negotiated with the prosecutor and the retail store representative who decided to drop all the charges if I attended a theft diversion class, which I did and the case was dismissed with no conviction and no guilty plea as the charges were dropped and the case was expunged. I was also given an official copy with all the above mentioned details by the court. Now my questions are:

1)Will this effect my visa stamping process ?
2.) Do I have to disclose the arrest( as I was not fingered and the case was dismissed as the charges were dropped) on DS-160?
3.) Are there any other concerns ?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

16

Answered . Yes, you need to disclose the arrest. Show all the paperwork to an experienced immigration attorney before you attempt to obtain a temporary visa. Please see

2. Diana Marie Santos

10

Answered . You absolutely have to disclose this arrest. If you did not plead guilty, and were not otherwise found guilty (facts sufficient to find guilt plus a deferred sentence), it wont affect your eligibility. HOWEVER, if you lie about it - that would be misrepresentation to obtain an immigration benefit, and that would affect your eligibility.

3. Andrew Marino Bramante

5

Answered . Yes. You must disclose. I disagree with one of the attorneys above who suggests that the absence of a conviction means it is not an issue. The immigration consequences of some criminal offenses are based on what the person did not what they were convicted of. Retail theft is one such offense. If you have NO OTHER criminal issues, here or in your home country, this offense may fall within the "petty offense exception". You should have a detailed conversation with an immigration attorney who will anticipate all the questions you will be asked by the consulate or CBP officer. Be prepared.

4. Ksenia Alexandrovna Maiorova

5

Answered . You must disclose the arrest. The immigration consequences of an arrest will depend on the exact nature of the charge and disposition. Bring your court records to an experienced immigration attorney before taking any further steps.

Answers provided by Ksenia Maiorova, Esq. on Avvo.com are of a general nature and do not constitute legal advice.
  5. Stephen D. Berman

5

Answered . It will affect it, you do have to disclose it, and it should not prevent you from getting the visa or being admitted to the U.S.

6. Juan Paolo Pasia Sarmiento

Best Answer

Answered . 1)Will this effect my visa stamping process ?

It won’t. But you need certified copies of those records.

Yes.

3.) Are there any other concerns ?

No. You were not convicted.

JP Sarmiento
    Free Consultations (email /phone/in-person)
    (216) 573-3712
    jp@sarmientoimmigration.com
    www.sarmientoimmigration.com

7. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

3

Answered . Disclose any criminal record honestly and provide certified disposition of any criminal matters as requested during the process.

8. Robert Louis Brown

Pro

Answered . You must disclose.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now