Skip to main content

Is an alien registration number void when the holder loses his legal status?

19130 |

I was given an alien registration number with a H1B visa. Then I lost my job, and after that lost my legal status a couple of months later.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. the "A Number" remains the same USCIS identifying number for an individual regardless of their immigration status.

    713-772-2300. All information provided is general in nature. Please consult with an immigration attorney with full details of the case.

  2. Attorny Fong is correct... the numebr is an identification number that will be your number at any time in the future you attempt to gain immigration benefits, you request information from USCIS on your file, or any other dealing with Government agencies cocnerning immigration. In reality its your personal number - like a state id number used in many countires - that makes it like your numerical immigrant fingerprints. Good question.

    Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.

  3. You will use the same A number for any future applications with USCIS.

    714-560-0040. The answer provided is general in nature and because not all facts are known, it should not be construed as legal advice. The answer does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  4. Your A number will always be with you through thick and thin. AThe same A number can be on your natruralization certicifate, "green card" and immigration court's order of removal! It is just an identifying number and is neither "valid" nor "invalid"...

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics