Is an after school babysitter's costs considered as part of child support calculation( Net work relate child care expenses)?

Newark, NJ |

Net work related child care expenses are apart of the child support calculation if you provided these figures to the Court at the time of calculation. If you did not provide these figures to the Court, you may have to fill a motion with the Court to have them included in your child support.

The information above should not be considered to be legal advice. Rather, it is intended for educational purposes only. The information provided does not constitute a contract for legal services between any parties. Please further note that the answers given are based on the facts provided. There may be additional facts not mentioned which might change the legal issues or consequences.

Thanks for you response Ms. Medeiros....what exactly qualifies as network related costs? Babysitter? Day care? Does the baby sitter have to be licensed? Can the babysitter take care of my son at my home? My son is 9...and I work in NY, live in NJ... and need someone be with him until I get home from work.

Lorraine Miguel Medeiros

Lorraine Miguel Medeiros

Although your ex can attack the babysitter if he or she is not licensed, there is no requirement that the babysitter be licensed. You just need proof that you are paying the babysitter, perhaps a contract for services and receipts from the babysitter.

Thanks again for your response...does a money paid out the baby sitter count as good evidence?

Lorraine Miguel Medeiros

Lorraine Miguel Medeiros

You need to prove that you paid the babysitter these funds.

Ok, I have paid the babysitter via money order. Thank you.

Lorraine Miguel Medeiros

Lorraine Miguel Medeiros

You are welcome.

It doesn't have to be a certified day care right? My son is 9 years old and it has been hard to find an after school day care for children older than 5. Is there any case law that shows babysitting services (being considered as net work related costs)being added to the CS. calc?

What If I don't have a contract in place? Just a money order that I used to pay the babysitter for her week's services?

Both parents are required to be responsible for work related child care which would include the after school baby sitter's costs. You should use a licensed child care provider if you want the Court to require your ex to contribute. If you and your ex do not agree to pay an unlicensed child care provider, the Court could deny the contribution from your ex. You may want to use the aftercare provided by your child's school versus a neighbor (unless your ex agrees to contribute) if you want the Court to compel your ex's contribution.