Is Alimony still alimony if paid through Child support probation

Mount Laurel, NJ |

Is alimony still considered alimony (for IRS purposes) if it's paid through NJ Child support probation? I've been electronically transferring alimony we agreed on in the PSA. Her attorney wants it paid through child support probation. Our divorce PSA agreement strictly states my support is "Limited Duration Support" and is taxable to her and deductible to me and it isn't child support and it ends at either of ours death. It also states that no one pays child support. But does this change anything? Will the IRS give me hell suggesting that it's now child support?

The Probation Department collects both child support and alimony. At the end of the year, they ill give each of you a statement reflecting the actual amount paid, which can be a helpful resource for preparing your taxes. It might also be helpful to you to establish a Probation account, because the date for termination of your alimony obligation is probably contained in your agreement, so probation will know when to stop collecting.

Both you and the IRS will be governed by the language of your settlement agreement. It does not matter that alimony is paid through the probation department.

This post is not legal advice and does not create a confidential attorney-client relationship. It is being offered for informational purposes only. You should not relay any confidential or priviliged material in this public forum. You should not rely on this post as legal advice. In order to obtain a more comprehensive answer to your question you should consult with an attorney of your choosing.

The other answers are correct, the probation department in New Jersey collects both child support and alimony. The Internal Revenue Service has very specific rules to determine what is alimony. Amounts paid under divorce or separate maintenance decrees or written separation agreements entered into between you and your spouse or former spouse will be considered alimony for federal tax purposes if:

•You and your spouse or former spouse do not file a joint return with each other
•You pay in cash (including checks or money orders)
•The payment is received by (or on behalf of) your spouse or former spouse
•The divorce or separate maintenance decree or written separation agreement does not say that the payment is not alimony
•If legally separated under a decree of divorce or separate maintenance, you and your former spouse are not members of the same household when you make the payment
•You have no liability to make the payment (in cash or property) after the death of your spouse or former spouse, and
•Your payment is not treated as child support or a property settlement.

Make sure you review the payments with a tax advisor, but it appears your payments should be alimony and tax deductible.

Please mark as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if our advice helped you. I would be happy to follow up with you. Please email me directly or call my office if you would like to schedule an appointment either in person or by telephone. Disclaimer: You cannot rely on the advice of an attorney given over the internet. The exact facts of your situation, including facts which you have not mentioned in your question, may completely change the result for your situation. Please be aware that the above comments are neither protected by attorney-client privilege, nor may be the basis for a malpractice lawsuit should the suggestion be followed with undesirable results.

Yes, the mode of payment is irrelevant.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed

Recommended articles about Divorce