Is alien registration (9 digit starting with 'A') number same as registration number (8 numbers without 'A') in the passport?

Asked over 3 years ago - San Francisco, CA

I have an immigrant visa & waiting for my physical green card so not sure about my Alien # or green card #. I need to apply for my child (under 21) before I get those documents. In form I-130, it asks for Alien registration number. I'm confused.

1. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . You do not state where the 8 number "A" number in the passport appears or where the 9 digit "A" number appears.

If the 8 digit number appears on the stamp you received at the port of entry when you came in, then that is your A number. USCIS is transitioning from an 8 digit number to 9 digit numbers. 8 digit numbers are converted to 9 digit numbers by adding a zero at the beginning: A12-345-678 becomes A012-345-678