Skip to main content

Is adult protective services abusing my grandmother?

Penn Yan, NY |
Filed under: Family law

APS has taken over my grandmothers bills. They have been getting her social security income and her veterans income checks. They refuse to give her any of her money for her personal needs. She doesnt have a washer or dryer in her home and needs to do laundry at the local laundromat but they will not give her any money to do so nor will they do anything at all to get her laundry washed. She also needs new shoes and underwear but they refuse to give her any of her money for that either. She is not in a nursing home. My husband and i take care of her the best we can. We do not make much money and we have 3 kids to take care of as well so having to buy her things with out low income is very hard to do. Is APS allowed to do this to her?

Attorney Answers 1


Unfortunately, it is difficult to know from your brief narrative whether it is reasonable under the circumstances to expect or demand improvement in your mother's situation. It doesn't sound very nice, but it isn't clear whether it rises to the level of abuse. There are procedures by which you can be appointed guardian of your mother but it sounds like you may be too overwhelmed to accept this responsibility. I recommend you have a brief consultation with an attorney who is familiar with APS, Medicaid and guardianship matters so you can get a good understanding of all the options. Good luck!

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.

Mark as helpful

2 found this helpful

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics