Skip to main content

Is address fraud a felony or misdemeanor, and what types of penalties can be expected if convicted?

Fond Du Lac, WI |

Became homeless and lost my home. Started living out of my vehicle with my young son. He needed to be enrolled in school but I couldn't give my vehicle as my address so I provided my previous address so that he could attend school. The school district found out somehow and now I am facing charges of address fraud.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I am sorry you are facing such very unfortunate predicament…. especially considering the fact that probably you do not have funds to obtain a private counsel. Still, I suggest contacting Central Legal. They are specializing in criminal defense representation of low income clients. Also, you have to contact the State Public Defender. I you are qualified they will appoint counsel for you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me via Good luck.



Thank you, but I am just looking for the basics before making a decision.

Vladimir M. Gorokhovsky

Vladimir M. Gorokhovsky


Whether you are charged with felony or misdemeanor shall be stated on summons. Have you already received a summons / criminal complaint to appear in court? Please do not post your confidential information here. If you need to, please contact me off the list.



No, I have not, that is why I am researching to find out what I may be facing.


As stated you need to contact the local Public Defender in your area and get an attorney to help. Good luck.


Have you been charged with a crime? If you have been charged with a crime, you will have received notice that you are required to come to court at a specific date and time.
I am surprised that you would be facing "fraud" charges for sending your child to school in the district where you were living when you becoame homeless. The McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act (No Child Left Behind) was implemented to prevent confusion about where homeless children could attend public school. See this website:

The designated Homeless Liaison Contact for Fond du Lac is John Whitsett and his telephone number is 920-906-6505. I would suggest calling him and describing your situation. He should be able to give you some direction.

If you have been charged with a crime, call the Office of the State Public Defender at 920-929-3990.

This communication is for the purposes of general advice only. This communication does not form any contractual obligation on behalf of the Attorney Stephen W. Sawyer or the Law Offices of Stephen W. Sawyer.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer