Is accepting a bribe treated the same way as the person offering the bribe? Are they both crimes?

New York, NY |

If people accept huge sums of money in exchange for unethical favors, some of these favors required lying and giving false statements, stealing personal personal property and other favors included just being paid to not show up for work for the person being targeted, just to upset them. If the person accepting the bribe does it just for the money, are they as guilty as the people offering them the money? How do you prove something like this if everyone is afraid to come forward?

Both sides of the bribe are illegal and can result in arrest and criminal prosecution.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

In other words, ppl who accept bribes will stay under the thumb of the briber bec if they come fwd, they will be arrested. So does this mean that the briber can ultimately get all of these bribed people to do exactly what he wants? I think I'm being set up and the briber has the ultimate advantage bec he has all the money.

Both are illegal and there are too many ways to prove it to list here.

Can you name just 3 ways to prove a bribe was accepted? If no one will admit to it for fear of prosecution, will they all get away with it?

Both are illegal

Bribe receiving is also a crime. Contact your local District Attorneys office to report this crime if it is a public servant.

Contact the offices of the NYS Attorney General. They will help you to find the correct law enforcement agency to assist in bringing this conduct into the light. My colleagues are correct in that both offering and accepting a bribe is against the law.

Offering,accepting,placing and soliciting a bribe are all criminal activities. The bribery need not ever occur for someone to be guilty. Attempted bribery, conspiracies etc all are forbidden. Under certain circumstances, if you knowingly conceal or fail to disclose bribery will also be deemed criminal. I hope this answer paints the working definition of bribery with a very broad brush.

Bribery in NY state involves payment to a public official intended to influence their actions in their official positions. Both giver and receiver are subject to prosecution. Usually how it is proven is that one of the individual's either providing or accepting the bribe is caught doing something else illegal and they are "turned" to get others for a better deal.

So it's not illegal for someone to take money from another if they are not a public figure?

Anthony Michael Giordano

Anthony Michael Giordano

Bribery is not limited to public officials but it seems to be prosecuted most often. But bribery can involve efforts to pay individuals to impact upon commercial decisions or the results of sporting events. So there are laws prohibiting bribing a participant or referee in a sporting event as well as laws against bribing labor officials or business officials.

Professional ethics topics