Is abusive estranged spouse who I fled and am currently in hiding entitled to any lottery winnings I win (upwards of a million)?

Fullerton, CA |

I left an abusive spouse, fled and left everything behind and went into hiding. the divorce has not yet been filed and its over a year. I don't want to give him any money, I have pictures of bruises where he assaulted me (not reported out of fear). Can I give the winning ticket to a friend? He does not deserve a penny and when I file my divorce soon I don't plan on rewarding him for turning my life upside down.

Generally, post separation acquisitions are the property of the spouse of acquired it; so the date of separation is critical amd may be contested at trial; further, if community funds were used to buy the lottery ticket , he could argue that the winnings are C/P. I serve the court you use.

The answers on this discussion board are general in nature and NOT intended as legal advice. Responding to questions does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Always see a lawyer about your individual situation.

I agree with my colleague's answer. I would be very careful giving your lottery ticket to your friend. That friend could walk away with all of the winnings and you would have to chase after him/her to get the proceeds. Besides, even if your friend helped you cash it out, there would still be a paper trail and your ex can still go after it. It's better to address this head on. Find an attorney, and fast.

The information and materials contained on this website do not constitute legal advice and are presented without any representation or warranty whatsoever, including as to accuracy or completeness. They are not intended to create, and receipt of them does not establish, an attorney-client relationship between you and Jenn Yan Wen Fei. Additionally, any contact between you and Jenn Yan Wen Fei does not establish an attorney-client relationship; any communication is not confidential. You should consult an attorney for individual advice on your specific situation.