Is abusive estranged spouse who I fled and am currently in hiding entitled to any lottery winnings I win (upwards of a million)?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Fullerton, CA

I left an abusive spouse, fled and left everything behind and went into hiding. the divorce has not yet been filed and its over a year. I don't want to give him any money, I have pictures of bruises where he assaulted me (not reported out of fear). Can I give the winning ticket to a friend? He does not deserve a penny and when I file my divorce soon I don't plan on rewarding him for turning my life upside down.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Michael John Harrington

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Generally, post separation acquisitions are the property of the spouse of acquired it; so the date of separation is critical amd may be contested at trial; further, if community funds were used to buy the lottery ticket , he could argue that the winnings are C/P. I serve the court you use.

    The answers on this discussion board are general in nature and NOT intended as legal advice. Responding to... more
  2. Jenn Yan Wen Fei

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with my colleague's answer. I would be very careful giving your lottery ticket to your friend. That friend could walk away with all of the winnings and you would have to chase after him/her to get the proceeds. Besides, even if your friend helped you cash it out, there would still be a paper trail and your ex can still go after it. It's better to address this head on. Find an attorney, and fast.

    The information and materials contained on this website do not constitute legal advice and are presented without... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Divorce and Spousal Abuse

Divorce is always an option for someone who is being abused by his or her spouse. The freedom to leave your marriage is an American right.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,386 answers this week

2,625 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,386 answers this week

2,625 attorneys answering