Is a will written in one state valid in another state if a person changes his resident?

Phoenix, AZ |

My will was written in Minnesota and I have changed my state of residency and now live in Arizona. I do not want to make in changes, but want to know if it is still valid, or do I have to have another one written here.

1. Yes, still valid if valid at the time of creation in MN.

2. Yes, it is still valid if it was valid in Minnesota. However, submitting the will to probate court will be simpler if there is an Arizona-specific self proving affidavit with the signature page.

I recommend the use of Arizona-specific financial and medical powers of attorney for incapacity planning.

Also, your family will appreciate having an Arizona estate attorney to help them in the event of your death or incapacity. You should find a lawyer you are comfortable with and stay in touch over the years.

Wills and estates topics