Skip to main content

Is a violation the same as an offense? Also what's the difference between committed and convicted? (for crime/ offense)

Portland, OR |

I have gotten a violation for not having a bus fare on the bus and I pled entry of no contest. Instead of just paying for the fine, there was another option of doing 8 hrs of community service for the dismissal of my case. I did the community service and my case is now dismissed.

I'm currently filing for citizenship and the form asks If I have ever been charged with committing any crime or offense.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You have to say yes. The form also asks whether you were cited. You were.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.For legal advice please contact us directly through one of the above.



Thanks for answering, how much will that affect my eligibility to become a citizen?

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal


Not really. You should consult an immigration attorney just to be on a safe side. When I answered you I did not see the record. When it comes to immigration, even minute details may be important.

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal


I will appreciate the best answer vote.


I'm going to edit the Practice Area of your question to "Immigration" which will bring it more easily to the attention of lawyers who practice in that specialized area of law. Good luck.


You should admit this on your application. However, it will affect your eligibility for naturalization.

Please click the link below for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer