Is a verbal lease agreement binding in New Jersey

Asked almost 3 years ago - Mays Landing, NJ

on a month to month lease and the landlord is telling me that I cannot move having given the required 30 day notice.

they are telling me that I have a verbal lease until december 2011. My lease expired in January of 2011, I have rented from month to month, I was going to move out once before but the plans fell through and they allowed me to stay. There is no written lease contract and I provided my 30 days notice, verbal and written. I will be sending a certified letter to the original landlord as well because I do not have delivery information on the current landlord. Written notice was in the form of a text message which has been saved in my phone along with their response.

1. Mary Tom

Answered . Verbal leases are binding. If the prior lease expired, you are a month to month tenant and need to give 30 days written notice (via regular and certified mail).

MARY TOM, ESQ.
    HUNZIKER, JONES & SWEENEY, P.A.
    Wayne Plaza II
    155 Route 46 West
    Wayne, NJ 07470
    Phone No. (973) 256-0456
    Fax No. (973) 256-4784