Is a verbal agreement legal in mississippi

New Albany, MS |

i was approached by a friend of mine about going in as partners and providing security for an upcoming event in our town. we bid on the contract and won the bid. the agreement between us and the show was to get half the money upfront 1 week before the show then the rest the nite of the show. my "friend" went and picked up part of the money while i was out of town on buisness. he sent me a text instead of calling me and said he no longer wants to be partners and wants to do it by himself. he said it was his idea and he was jus gonna do it alone. the agreement between us was 50/50 on everything. is there anything legally i can do for this?

1. I am a NY attorney and cannot advise you as to your state's laws. But I can provide you with some general information that may be helpful. In most states, verbal agreements as to joint ventures and the like are valid. A verbal agreement as to the sale of goods valued at $500 or more, or for an interest in real property, must be in writing, as must certain other types of agreement. But the problem with enforcing a verbal agreement is, well, that it's verbal. Bear in mind that if you were to sue, you would bear the burden of proof.

I'm not a big fan of text messaging so I don't know whether there is a way that you can record or print out the text message, but if you can, that would be helpful to you.

Good luck to you.

Michael S. Haber is a New York attorney. As such, his responses to posted inquiries, such as the one above, are limited to his understanding of law in the jurisdiction in which he practices and not to any other jurisdiction. In addition, no response to any posted inquiry should be deemed to constitute legal advice, nor to constitute the existence of an attorney/client or other contractual or fiduciary relationship, inasmuch as legal advice can only be provided in circumstances in which the attorney is able to ask questions of the person seeking legal advice and to thus gather appropriate information.