Is a thank you gift appropriate?

San Diego, CA |
Filed under: Estate planning Probate

My attorney handled a probate for me and was very professional and worked hard on my behalf. I live out of the state where the probate occurred. I already sent her and her paralegal e-mail thanks but also want to send them both a gift of appreciation. Is this appropriate and if so any suggestions.... Wine, candle, chocolate etc. Thanks

1. That's very nice of you. I think a box of candy, box of fruit, etc... are all well received by attorneys after a case. Likewise a thoughtful thank you note thanking them and their staff is always nice to receive!

2. Yes - there is nothing wrong with sending your attorney a gift. Any of the items you mentioned would be appropriate.

Please note - I am providing you with general comments, not legal advice. Nothing in this answer creates an attorney-client relationship nor constitutes legal advice, as I do not know the facts of your case well enough to be able to guide you, nor am I making any promises about the outcome of your case, or any guarantees about my capabilities, skill level, or predicted success. If you would like to retain me to provide you with legal advice, please contact me and we can discuss the engagement.

3. These gifts can be given.

4. Any gift you give would be greatly appreciated, I'm sure. It's not often that an attorney receives a gift and anything is nice. A thank you note stating you appreciate the hard work the attorney and staff put into the matter is always nice and well received. See's candies and Mrs. Fields cookies have gift ideas if your really stuck. If they don't eat sweets, then maybe a fruit basket would be good.

Wills and estates topics