Is a tenant required to move in the middle of a lease term if the landlord sells the house?

Asked over 1 year ago - Naples, FL

I have a written lease that expires in November of 2013. The landlord wants to sell the house. Can I be forced to move? Can I be forced to leave for open houses and the like?

1. Barry A. Stein

Pro

4

Best Answer

Answered . Your lease controls your right of possession. You cannot be forced to move unless the lease provides for that occurrence. You can be required to allow for open houses, if the lease provides for it, and the timing of those. You cannot be forced to release possession to allow for open houses unless your lease provides for that too. Have your lease reviewed by an attorney.

2. Brian David Zinn

1

Answered . In addition to the response of the other attorney, I would also say that if you are renting month-to-month, you can usually be evicted on 30 days' notice. This could include the situation where you had a 1-year written lease, and after it expired, you continued renting on a month-to-month basis.

3. Brantley Daw Oakey

Answered . Mr. Stein is correct. You need to look to your lease. If the lease says that it will terminate upon sale of the property, then you can be forced to leave. If says nothing on the subject, then you cannot be forced to leave upon sale. It's always a good idea to have an attorney review your lease if you have any doubts.

This does not constitute legal advice, and there is no attorney/client relationship established.