Is a small punctured lung, considered serious bodily injury?

Asked about 1 year ago - Methuen, MA

It was low grade, didn't require surgery, nor was a permanent injury or cause impairment. It was treated in the hospital in about 7 days or less. It was caused in an accident.

1. Brian P Finnerty

Pro

10

Answered . A punctured lung would certainly be an injury warranting a claim for damages if the accident you refer to was the fault of someone else, such as a motor vehicle accident. If so, you should contact a personal injury lawyer who can determine whether you have a claim for damages against that person. If the injury was not caused by someone else, then you probably have no claim worth pursuing.

2. David Ian Schoen

Pro

9

Answered . Usually, a punctured lung accompanies a rib fracture.

3. Michael J. Szklasz

Pro

9

Answered . If this is a question as to whether you may have a claim for pain and suffering as the result of injuries suffered in a automobile accident, the statute states that you may if you EITHER (only one needs to be present) you suffered ANY broken bone (including teeth); had a disfiguring injury; OR your medical bills totaled $2000.00 or more. I hope that helps. As to the specific question, lawyerly answer is it depends. Definitely hire a personal injury attorney. They almost always are beneficial in P.I. cases.

4. Jeffrey Mark Adams

10

1

Answered . Maybe. A doctor would be in a better position to opine. But heck, a punctured lung no matter how small is always serious.

5. Gilbert Richard Hoy Jr

Pro

7

Answered . It would depend upon the health consequences to the injured party.

6. Jonathan Alexander Karon

6

Answered . I would consider it a serious bodily injury if it happened to me. I suspect that your question is really directed to whether you have the right to file suit. If you were injured in an auto accident and have more than $2000 in medical expenses you have the right to file against someone whose negligence caused your injuries. Without knowing more about why you want to know I can't give you aore detailed answer.

Pro

7

Answered . Yes. You didn't say how you sustained this injury, but if it was the result of someone's negligence, have a local personal injury lawyer investigate.

8. Joseph F. Hennessey

Answered . Serious bodily injury has one of these characteristics: (1) it created a substantial risk of death; (2) it involved total disability; (3) it involved the loss of any bodily function for a substantial period of time; or (4) it involved substantial impairment of any bodily function for a substantial period of time. So I would say that a punctured lung is a serious bodily injury.