Is a private (non state or federal) business required to provide an employee handbook?

HR told me they are not required to give employee handbooks. In fact, they only have it for management training or references? Is this correct?

1. There is no legal requirement for a company to have an employee handbook in California.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

2. An employee handbook is a good idea but not required. Where do these rumors start?

The above information does not establish an attorney client relationship nor is it meant to provide legal advice.

3. Public, private, large, small --every type of company can have one, or not, as they like. Most big businesses do, since it's going to be written to protect them.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

Business topics