Is a physician who writes an affidavit to a court from which that court makes a decision considered an "officer of the court"?

New York, NY |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

I know Judges, clerks, and attorneys are officers of the court, but what about other professionals who present the court with case-relevant findings?

No, a doctor would be considered an "expert witness" so long as his statements were within his area of expertise.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

No that drafter is an affiant under oath.

A doctor is not an officer of the court. However, a doctor may sign an affirmation rather than having to do an affidavit (which must be notarized) unless the doctor is a party to the case.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

There is not enough information to answer this question.

A court appointed professional who testifies or provides "affidavits" to the court is not an "officer of the court", but rather is closked in immunity for his assertions.

So if a charlatan "doctor" rigs up his testimony to slant one way, he is immune though he is not an officer of the court. If you try tosue such an affiant, your case will be dismissed.

I appreciate your input. As you might imagine this case is too detailed for these small comment boxes.

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes