Is a petty offense considered a misdemeanor in Colorado, specifically Jefferson County?

Denver, CO |

I'm applying to medical school and was recently convicted of a class II petty offense. The question clearly states, have you been convicted or plead not guilty or no contest to, any misdemeanor? I need to know how this will show up on my background check so that I can disclose it if I need to. Obviously, if possible, I'd like to leave it off. Thanks for the help!

1. As a general matter, a petty offense is not a misdemeanor or visa versa. This are instead different classes of criminal offense.

Colo. Rev. Stat. 18-1-104(2) provides: "Each offense falls into one of eleven classes. There are six classes of felonies as defined in section 18-1.3-401, three classes of misdemeanors as defined in section 18-1.3-501, and two classes of petty offenses as defined in section 18-1.3-503"

That said, this offense may still appear on the background check so you will need to decide whether this offense was so minor that you want to go beyond the question asked and disclose this offense for the purpose of appearing forthright.

Disclaimer: This answer is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.