Is a personal loan from a know gambling prowess legal

Windsor, NC |
Filed under: Gaming law

Tom is offered $15,000 from a local person known for his gambling prowess Tom would have to repay back $23,000 in 36 monthly installments of $521. according to the state where Tom lives the maximum amount of annual interest that can be charged on a loan is 20%

1. This sounds like a fake question.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

2. The statute limiting interest may not apply to this loan. You need to consult an attorney to determine if this violates the State's Consumer Protection or Usury laws. His gaming prowess would not be relevant or affect his ability to enforce the loan.

This is not intended as legal advice. It is only provided for educational purposes and cannot be relied upon as legal advice. Further no attorney client relationship is or has been formed by answering this question.

3. I hate to agree with Ms. Koslyn, but this does not sound legitimate or sounds like a law school fact pattern. You have posted this in NC, and the amount of interest you stated is incorrect. Plus $521 over 36 months will not pay off the loan amount even without interest.

Gaming law topics