Is a personal gaurantee enforcable on joint property of a married couple

Bethlehem, PA |

I am a partner in a restaurant. The husbands all signed personal gaurantees for the lease, which is in Arizona. THe Arizona law states the gaurantee is not enforcable without the spouses' signatures.

It's unclear from your facts exactly what's going on. If you have a question about Arizona law, I would suggest posing that question to Arizona lawyers by logging with an Arizona address.

Pennsylvania law, however, generally protects property held by a husband and wife (a special type of ownership called a "tenancy-by-the-entireties") from judgments against only one of the spouses. So the answer to your question (I think) is that a monetary judgment against your husband for breach of a restaurant lease should not jeopardize property held by the both of you as husband-and-wife. Does that make sense? Hope this is what you're asking.

Cary B. Hall, Esquire
Law Offices of Cary B. Hall, L.L.C.
121 East Chestnut Street, Suite 205
Souderton, PA 18964
T: (267) 663-9995
F: (215) 525-4364
cbh@carybhall.com

Landlord-tenant topics