Is a parent required to provide post secondary education

Asked over 5 years ago - Milton, WA

I have an existing support order for support to extend until the completion of a four year institution (or leaves college). This is detailed in the Child Support section. In addition there is a section for Post secondary education that has me paying tuition and books.

My ex and I are looking into haveing all of the money go diectly to my son to manage his education rather than through her. Can we remove the Child Support clause and redo the Post Secondary support clause to reflect this?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Carolyn Annette Elsey

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . You can ask the court to modify the post-secondary support section. Of course, you can do this by agreement. The statute (I've linked to it below) requires that post-secondary support go directly to the institution if possible.

    However, make sure the son is good with money. There's a lot that can go wrong with this arrangement.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,557 answers this week

2,980 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,557 answers this week

2,980 attorneys answering