Is a nursing home financially responsible under consumer protection laws if they give incorrect information?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Webster, NY

We were told by a SNF that rehab would be covered primarily by insurance for the first 100 days (both verbally and in writing). This information ultimately was incorrect. This created a very large private pay bill which was completely unexpected and no notice was given that the initial information was wrong.

1. Mitchell Aaron Nathanson

Pro

Answered . There are so many details missing from the information provided and many parties involved, for me to be able to give a direct answer. Ultimately, if the nursing home provided the services, they are likely to get paid, either by you, your insurer, the State, or some combination. I would have a lawyer get all parties together for settlement negotiations and if you don't get where you want, then litigation is likely to follow.

2. Hayley R. Greenberg

Answered . I am sorry to hear about your situation.

You should contact an attorney to discuss your questions as additional information would be helpful. How much money is at issue? Will they adjust the bill for the non covered portion? WIll any other insurance pay the bill? Etc.

I wish you the best of luck.

Please remember that I do not normally monitor these questions after I have posted a reply.

Free phone consultation Monday — Thursday 1-5 pm.
    Hayley Greenberg
    Greenberg & Merola, LLP
    Attorneys at Law
    521 5th Ave. Ste. 1700
    New York, NY 10175
    (212) 593-6111, facsimile (516) 887-1720
    (Additional offices: Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island)
    www.GreenbergMerola.com