Is a nursing home financially responsible under consumer protection laws if they give incorrect information?

Webster, NY |

We were told by a SNF that rehab would be covered primarily by insurance for the first 100 days (both verbally and in writing). This information ultimately was incorrect. This created a very large private pay bill which was completely unexpected and no notice was given that the initial information was wrong.

There are so many details missing from the information provided and many parties involved, for me to be able to give a direct answer. Ultimately, if the nursing home provided the services, they are likely to get paid, either by you, your insurer, the State, or some combination. I would have a lawyer get all parties together for settlement negotiations and if you don't get where you want, then litigation is likely to follow.

I do NOT know you. I am NOT your lawyer. This answer is provided for the general public who may have similar queries. The answer provided is NOT definitive. I do NOT know all of the facts of your case and NO attorney-client relationship is established. Please do not use my answer to tell your lawyer what to do. Free advise is worth exactly what you are paying. Trust the lawyer who is charging you for his/her time and expertise. If you can no longer trust your lawyer, then hire someone else. I am always interested in new clients and business opportunities and would welcome your call or email to discuss matters further. For more information, please feel free to visit my website or schedule an appointment.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

You should contact an attorney to discuss your questions as additional information would be helpful. How much money is at issue? Will they adjust the bill for the non covered portion? WIll any other insurance pay the bill? Etc.

I wish you the best of luck.

Please remember that I do not normally monitor these questions after I have posted a reply.

Free phone consultation Monday — Thursday 1-5 pm.
Hayley Greenberg
Greenberg & Merola, LLP
Attorneys at Law
521 5th Ave. Ste. 1700
New York, NY 10175
(212) 593-6111, facsimile (516) 887-1720
(Additional offices: Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island)
www.GreenbergMerola.com

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Recommended articles about Divorce