Is a notorized bill of sale for property good if the land was still being paid for?

Asked over 1 year ago - Breaux Bridge, LA

My brother was buying 2 acres and made me a bill of sale for one acre.When he got it paid for he changed his mind.. The bill of sale was notorized.Can he legally take the acre of land back from me?

1. Lauren G. Coleman

Answered . I agree with the other answer that you need an attorney to review the bill of sale. Normally any transaction dealing with land must be in writing. If it was notarized but not witnessed, it may qualify as an act under private signature. If it has two witnesses, it would be an authentic act and should be filed in the conveyance records of the parish where the property is located.

2. Tiffany Dianne Garland

Answered . The bill of sale which is notarized is an authentic act, as required by Louisiana law to validly transfer ownership of property. If you have paid for the land, and you have a notarized bill of sale, your brother cannot take the acre of land back. You should file the bill of sale with the registry of your local parish court so that it is effective against other parties as well.

3. Michael T Millar

Pro

Answered . You will have to take the "bill of sale" to a local real estate attorney to review and to determine if it created an enforceable contract.

I am not a LA attorney, laws vary from state to state, therefore you should always consult a local attorney.