Is a Notice of Trust required to be published in a newspaper in lee county, FL

death occured in December, 2012

Estero, FL -

Dana Laganella Gerling

Dana Laganella Gerling

Wills and Living Wills Lawyer - Bradenton, FL

By publishing to creditors it allows you to limit the time with which they can file a claim. If you do not publish, creditors will have 2 years to file a claim against the Estate leaving the Estate liable for a longer period.

Carol Anne Johnson

Carol Anne Johnson

Trusts Attorney - Saint Petersburg, FL

There are several different avenues for notification of creditors, which, as Attorney Gerling points out, is a requirement for the administration of the estate. If you are the personal representative of the estate or the Trustee of the trust, you have a right (and should take advantage of that) to have an attorney advise you as to your fiduciary responsibilities. You won't be saving anything by not placing a notification in the paper - legitimate creditors have a right to have their debts paid by the estate prior to any distributions going to beneficiaries. Get a good local trusts and estates attorney to assist you with the administration.

Adam Troy Rauman

Adam Troy Rauman

Estate Planning Attorney - Saint Petersburg, FL

As others have pointed out, you need to hire an estate/probate attorney to assist you. Although the trust itself is not a probatable asset, there is probably a payment of debit clause in the trust. An attorney will be able to review the trust and advise you how best to proceed.
Good luck

Shawn C Newman

Shawn C Newman

Estate Planning Attorney - Fort Lauderdale, FL

There is no statutory requirement to publish notice of trust. However it is generally a good idea to provide such a notice in case there are creditors so that they can be so reasonable deat with in a timely fashion. And as other attorneys have pointed out, this may also be useful in conjunction with any type of probate administration that will ultimately impact the trust.

Related Advice