Is a notarized paper a legal binding in court?

Allentown, PA |

My ex-husband owes me $20,000.00 in arrears for child support. He makes monthly payments, but not the amount the court wants. He currently has a order on me for support because he has our son. Now, he wants me to drop the arrears he owes. I told him the only way I would do this is if we get a paper notarized saying the agreement is, in order to drop the arrears he owes me, he has to drop the current order on me, and he will not beable to take me back for support. Will that be a legal binding document?

Probably not. As a general matter, child support is for the welfare of the child, not the parent and, as such, parents cannot enter into bargains to pay less child support than is due.

My comments are provided for general information purposes only. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications through Avvo should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. The information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Lawyers are licensed to practice on a state by state basis; do not act on information contained on this website without first speaking to an attorney licensed to practice in your state.

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support