Is a nonjudicial foreclosure better for me than a judicial foreclosure?

Asked about 2 years ago - Tampa, FL

I don't know if either affects credit or future prospects any differently, but nonjudicial sounds like it might be better for me on the whole. Is this true?

.

1. Barbara Billiot Stage

Pro

6

Answered . In my opinion, no, but the question is irrelevant if you're talking about a foreclosure in Florida, which is a judicial foreclosure state. A judicial foreclosure requires the bank to file a verified foreclosure complaint and proceed through the courts just like any other lawsuit. A non-judicial foreclosure allows the bank to file a writ with the court and seize your property without going through the usual court process and if you want to defend against the foreclosure, the homeowner has to file a lawsuit against the bank.

If you are facing a foreclosure, I strongly recommend you talk to a foreclosure defense attorney who can audit your mortgage documents.

2. Marshall C Deason Jr.

Pro

5

Answered . Non-judicial foreclosures are more efficient for mortgage lenders; judicial foreclosures provide more protection for homeowners. As Attorney Stage said, there is no such thing as a non-judicial foreclosure in Florida. If you are unsure of your rights with respect to your mortgage, you should consult a lawyer who is experienced in real estate or mortgage foreclosure defense.

3. Royce Brent Bishop

2

Answered . Maybe you heard of a "deed-in-lieu" of foreclosure, in which you avoid foreclosure? Or perhaps a "short-sale", which is just a sale and the bank forgives any left over amount of money that you owe? As far as I know, all states have foreclosures, it is just a matter of whether a judge (judicial) gets involved or not. Georgia is a non-judicial, but Florida is a judicial. If a homeowner is behind on their payments, their credit score would be affected no matter what state or type of foreclosure. Hope that answers your question. We don't have a choice in Florida--it is a judicial foreclosure state.

4. Margery Ellen Golant

Pro

2

Answered . You don't have a choice. In Florida there is no such thing as nonjudicial foreclosure. Furthermore, from the attorneys I know who practice in nonjudicial states, it is a terrible and unfair process.