Skip to main content

Is a minor able to choose who they live with if they are unhappy at their current home and guardain?

Hilliard, OH |

i am a minor who is very unhappy with my home situation who has had many problems an is becoming depressed because of my home life

Attorney Answers 3


Since you are a minor I am not able to provide you legal advice. I suggest that you speak with your other parent on the situation. As for the depression you may want to speak to your doctor on that matter as well.

Mark as helpful


You may want to speak to a teacher or school counselor as well.

Best of luck

Legal disclaimer: The response does not form an attorney-client relationship. Further, the response is not intended to create nor does it create a duty to answer additional questions. The response should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response may change. Attorney Sommers is licensed to practice law only in the State of Ohio. All responses are based solely on Ohio law unless stated otherwise

Mark as helpful


Under Ohio law, a minor is able to state a preference as to where the child wishes to live but does not make a choice and have it done. It is one of many factors a court takes into consideration. The weight of each factor is the discretion of the judge.

However, if you are becoming depressed, then you may wish to talk to your parents and ask to see a mental health provider in order to being some therapy to help your situation. Your counselor can then (with your permission) speak to your parents about how to help you with the situation.

This answer is being provided as general advice only and is not to be relied upon for specific circumstances. By answering the question, no attorney-client relationship is created. As for any matter, it is best to seek consultation in person with an attorney who practices in the area of law in which you are inquiring.

Mark as helpful

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics