Is a minor able to choose who they live with if they are unhappy at their current home and guardain?

Asked over 2 years ago - Hilliard, OH

i am a minor who is very unhappy with my home situation who has had many problems an is becoming depressed because of my home life

1. Loretta Marie Helfrich

Pro

Answered . Since you are a minor I am not able to provide you legal advice. I suggest that you speak with your other parent on the situation. As for the depression you may want to speak to your doctor on that matter as well.

2. Brian Alan Sommers

Pro

Answered . You may want to speak to a teacher or school counselor as well.

Best of luck

3. Paul Michael Kocsis

Answered . Under Ohio law, a minor is able to state a preference as to where the child wishes to live but does not make a choice and have it done. It is one of many factors a court takes into consideration. The weight of each factor is the discretion of the judge.

However, if you are becoming depressed, then you may wish to talk to your parents and ask to see a mental health provider in order to being some therapy to help your situation. Your counselor can then (with your permission) speak to your parents about how to help you with the situation.