Is a legally separated husband in New York responsible for his estranged wife's long term health care?

Asked over 1 year ago - Liverpool, NY

nursing home costs, medicine, doctors. her age 66 yrs. old

1. Lawrence A Friedman

10

Answered . It's a complicated question in that the separation terms will play a major role. You should have a local lawyer review your separation agreement and order.

Lawrence Friedman, Bridgewater, NJ. Certified as an Elder Law Attorney by the ABA approved National Elder Law Foundation, former Chair NJ State Bar Association Elder and Disabilities Law Section, Member Board of Consultors of NJSBA Real Property, Trusts & Estates Law Section, Vice Chair Special Needs Law Section of National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, and Master of Laws (LL.M.) in Taxation from N.Y.U. School of Law. Visit SpecialNeedsNJ.com for articles and Q&A on elder law, special needs, wills, trusts, estates, and tax. Visit SpecialNeedsNJ.com/blog and subscribe for free timely updates to be delivered to your inbox. Information on both Avvo and SpecialNeedsNJ.com does not constitute legal advice, as it is general in nature and may not apply to your situation or be subject to important changes. No attorney client relationship exists unless set forth in written engagement terms.

2. Matthew Scott Kam Tannenbaum

Pro

8

Answered . This would probably fall under the neccessities doctrine in NY General Obligations law. New York applies the doctrine of necessities to medical debt incurred by a spouse. However, the rule appears to require that the expenses be incurred on the credit of the surviving spouse and that he or she has the ability to pay. The doctrine of necessaries requires a showing that the necessaries were furnished based on the credit of the spouse and a showing that the amounts alleged to be owed are commensurate with the spouse's means. You should speak to an attorney and defend any attempt to collect against you.

3. Peter Christopher Lomtevas

Pro

8

Answered . In New York, the only "legal" separation is living separate and apart pursuant to a validly executed separation agreement, If you don't know what this is, then you are not separated at all. You therefore have a duty to support your spouse. The fact that you haven't seen her in years makes no difference because the law does not know you are apart.

So you are financially responsible for her health care and support in general until death do you part unless you file for and are granted a divorce.

4. Morghan L Richardson

Pro

7

Answered . I agree with the other attorney. You need to take your separation papers to a local lawyer to have them reviewed and see what your options might be. Good luck!

5. James Gregory Las Cola

8

Answered . Hi, I have added some tags and changed your practice area so some of the fine New York attorneys here who regularly practice in family law will see your question and offer you some direction. Glad to help.