Is a lease addendum valid if the lessee did not sign it or agree to it?

Sterling, CO |

I signed a lease with a LLC owned by a husband and wife. The two divorced and the wife took the properties. The wife mailed a letter that stated she was dissolving the LLC under which the lease was originated and that she would be the sole landlord. She stated that the letter served as an addendum to the lease, however I was never asked to sign the addendum. Is the lease or the addendum still valid?

1. Yes, the original lease is valid and the addendum is normally not valid unless you contractually agree to accept it or it is written to comply with some municipal code, HOA, etc.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

2. Mr. Leroi is correct, however, you may want to run the document by a local attorney in case you missed something that might be helpful.

Landlord-tenant topics