Skip to main content

Is a lawyer needed when you have been charged with disorderly conduct and possession of less than an ounce of marijuana?

Lagrange, GA |

Was visiting my Father who is 67 and was in local hospital with a broken foot. Had been with him for about an hour when my Aunt enters the room. She lives 50 miles away and started to threaten me about taking custody of my son. We got intoa heated argument and both of us got loud. Hospital Security came up and escorted us outside and they told me I was banned. My aunt then calls Sheriff Dept. I'm sitting in my car in parking lot and the police drive up and arrest me for disorderly conduct and asked to search my car which I Iallowed them to do so. The female officer told me that she found a green leafy substance in my cup holder that resembled marijuana and gave me a ticket for possessing less than an ounce of marijuana. I'm schedule to go court on Sept. 10,2013

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


Hiring a lawyer is really up to you. My question, however, is how did the officers issue you a citation for disorderly conduct if the hospital just let you go? There are several issues that go into your case. For instance, what was the reason that the officers claimed they were talking with you about. Attorney's call this issue probable cause. Without good probable cause, the whole case falls on its face. You may want to consider at least consulting with an attorney, most have free consultations.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. At this time, I am not accepting professional responsibility on this matter. No attorney/client relationship is created unless and until I receive a signed retainer agreement along with the requested retainer fee. If this matter is truly important to you, hire an attorney. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 678-510-1716 or if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). Without reviewing the appropriate paperwork It is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. Circular 230 Disclosure: Pursuant to recently-enacted U.S. Treasury Department Regulations, we are now required to advise you that, unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax advice contained in this communication, including attachments and enclosures, is not intended or written to be used, and may not be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein.


Yes, you need a lawyer.


Yes, you need a lawyer. A conviction on the marijuana alone could get your license suspended. Otherwise, you are facing fines, probation, community service, alcohol and drug counseling and, depending on your criminal history, jail time.


My advice to anyone who will stand before a court being charged with an offense, or as here two offenses, is to have counsel by your side to deal with the case on your behalf.

Drug offenses....yes, even marijuana... can result in a conviction that will cause you a denial of federal financial aid for school.

A lawyer will make the disposition of this case much easier.

Many future employers also get your consent and search your record before hiring,

Be smart and let a professional take care of you.

Good luck.

Answer for educational purposes only.


Most people don't even cut their own hair, so when it is your very freedom on the line, hiring someone to help you should be a "no-brainer."

↓ Mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it. For more information, contact us at or (404) 835-7595. The initial consultation is always free for Avvo users.


Perhaps my blog post on this issue will give you some helpful information. This link will take you to the page:

Answers to questions on this web site are for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. Unless you and Troy W. Marsh, Jr. have signed a written contract, Troy W. Marsh, Jr. is not your attorney, and you are not his client.


You absolutely need a lawyer. You are charged with offenses that can result in jail for up to 24 months total, fines totaling $2,000.00, and your license will be suspended for the drug charge. If you can go to jail for it, you need a lawyer.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer