Is a lawyer needed when you have been charged with disorderly conduct and possession of less than an ounce of marijuana?

Was visiting my Father who is 67 and was in local hospital with a broken foot. Had been with him for about an hour when my Aunt enters the room. She lives 50 miles away and started to threaten me about taking custody of my son. We got intoa heated argument and both of us got loud. Hospital Security came up and escorted us outside and they told me I was banned. My aunt then calls Sheriff Dept. I'm sitting in my car in parking lot and the police drive up and arrest me for disorderly conduct and asked to search my car which I Iallowed them to do so. The female officer told me that she found a green leafy substance in my cup holder that resembled marijuana and gave me a ticket for possessing less than an ounce of marijuana. I'm schedule to go court on Sept. 10,2013

Lagrange, GA -

Michael David Barber Jr.

Michael David Barber Jr.

Criminal Defense Attorney - Atlanta, GA

Hiring a lawyer is really up to you. My question, however, is how did the officers issue you a citation for disorderly conduct if the hospital just let you go? There are several issues that go into your case. For instance, what was the reason that the officers claimed they were talking with you about. Attorney's call this issue probable cause. Without good probable cause, the whole case falls on its face. You may want to consider at least consulting with an attorney, most have free consultations.

Noah Howard Pines

Noah Howard Pines

Criminal Defense Attorney - Atlanta, GA

Yes, you need a lawyer.

Benjamin David Goldberg

Benjamin David Goldberg

Criminal Defense Attorney - Marietta, GA

Yes, you need a lawyer. A conviction on the marijuana alone could get your license suspended. Otherwise, you are facing fines, probation, community service, alcohol and drug counseling and, depending on your criminal history, jail time.

John Arnold Steakley

John Arnold Steakley

Most people don't even cut their own hair, so when it is your very freedom on the line, hiring someone to help you should be a "no-brainer."

Robert G. Wells

Robert G. Wells

Criminal Defense Attorney - Syracuse, NY

My advice to anyone who will stand before a court being charged with an offense, or as here two offenses, is to have counsel by your side to deal with the case on your behalf.

Drug offenses....yes, even marijuana... can result in a conviction that will cause you a denial of federal financial aid for school.

A lawyer will make the disposition of this case much easier.

Many future employers also get your consent and search your record before hiring,

Be smart and let a professional take care of you.

Answer for educational purposes only.
Troy Windel Marsh Jr.

Troy Windel Marsh Jr.

Criminal Defense Attorney - Statesboro, GA

Perhaps my blog post on this issue will give you some helpful information. This link will take you to the page: http://www.marshlaw1.com/do-i-need-a-lawyer/

Kirby Clements Jr.

Kirby Clements Jr.

Criminal Defense Attorney - Decatur, GA

You absolutely need a lawyer. You are charged with offenses that can result in jail for up to 24 months total, fines totaling $2,000.00, and your license will be suspended for the drug charge. If you can go to jail for it, you need a lawyer.