Is a landlord responsible for his tenants' illegal and dangerous activities and can he evict them for these activities?

Sacramento, CA |

I live next door to a rental property where last week one of the tenants and his acquaintance got into a verbal confrontation that escalated into the acquaintance pulling out a gun and firing it into the air. This was at 1 p.m. on a Saturday afternoon. There have been other incidents where the tenants have fired a gun into a neighboring house during a July 4th celebration. This is an absentee landlord.

There are a lot of unknown that are needed to answer your question. There are some situations where a landlord can be liable for his tenant's illegal and dangerous activities if he had knowledge that they were happening and did nothing to try to prevent them. This can be extremely hard to prove that the landlord knew that this was happening. On another note. written into most, if not all, leases in California are clauses that allow for a landlord to remove his tenant from a property if the tenant is involved with illegal and/or dangerous activities. I would advise that you seek an attorney to determine your best course of action in light of the terms of the lease that you have entered with your landlord.