Is a landlord required to make major repairs if the tenant refuses to keep his apartment clean?

Asked 3 months ago - Salt Lake City, UT

The landlord is too compassionate to evict, and the financial situation of the tenant is so bad that sending a clean-up/repair bill would really hurt. If I were the said landlord, I wouldn't want to make the repairs either. It would be like throwing water on a grease fire. The landlord is willing to make the repairs ASAP, but on the condition that the tenant makes an effort to clean up his unit.

1. Graeme L Abraham

1

Answered . Generally, when it comes to leases, one side can't refuse to uphold their own contractual obligations because the other party has breached the lease. You have to provide the proper notices and give the other side a chance to cure the breach. In this case, I would serve a 3 day notice to cure the cleaning issue. Refusing to keep the place in habitable condition by not fixing the A/C, water, etc. can be seen as a self-help eviction which can get you in a lot of trouble.